Sunday, March 11, 2007

Skelling Reading

Let me be honest. I have not read the whole book yet. I just finished The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, this evening. I really loved that book. When i was younger i always had that dream that i had a secret door in my house that led to some cool place that i can go back and forth to. I think also because i read this book a lot as a child and seen the movie i was very much into the book.
Skelling is a bit erie. I don't know how else to say it. Part of me can seriosuly reason with Michael. When my family decided to move into out first house i was about 9 going on 10. The neighborhood was amazing, but the house was a dump and when i 1st seen it i refused to live there until it looked liveable. The backyard was this feild of weeds, and the inside of the house had massive holes in the walls, it was horrible. My parents decided we wouldn't live there until the house was in great shape. It took them almost a year and after that you couldn't tell it was ever a dump before, it fit in perfectly with the other houses in the area.
This book is definately pegged for young readers. I say this because the chapters are seriously short. I suppose it makes them feel accomplished to be able to say "i read 10 chapters", which anyone would think, "wow that's a lot of reading!" when really it's only 27 pages.
I do find it creepy that they have moved into a house where a person died. Under no circumstances is that okay with me. I would easily start freaking myself out.
It seems to me so far that Michael just feels like he is an outsider. Afterhe gets caught exploring the garage he says, "Then i went back into the wildreness we called a garden and she went back to the stupid baby(Almond, pg.5)."
I am not exactly sure who Dr. Death is. He says he calls him Dr. Death because of the way he looks. I haven't really gotten far into the book yet, as i said i just finished the previous book.

2 comments:

Berlinda said...

well the book is about how Micheal open his mind to different things. in the garge he discovered a man in there who was dying. he made friend with he next door nieghbor, i think her name is Mina. well, they took the man in the garge to a abondon house which belong to Mina. They also discover that Skellig, the man, had wings on his shoulder blade.
Micheal has a sick baby sister and Dr. Death is the doctor that visit the baby. this is a very nice book i enjoyed. When i first started to read the part where Micheal found Skellig i was scared and i thought that this book was going to be a horror book. it is a good book for children they well think more about listening to things and probably about the school system.
In the book Mina was home schooled and her mother and her think that school limits your thinking and creative. i agree with them and don't agree. because if you go to school you build up your social skill a long with everything else. being home-schooled you have little social skill but are very creative. so there is good and bad.

Susi said...

I personally liked this book alot. THis book was somewhat diffferent than a lot of the other books written that i have read, The story line is somewhat the same but somethings are a little different. I love the fact that mina is homeschooled because its not a tipical american family book that we are reading and it shows that she still can make friends with other children and explore and use her imagination with the help of michael. The fact that they call the little sisters doctor Dr Death kinda creeps me out beacause its like assuming that death is coming to visit a family member. I dont agree with that being in a childrens book. I do live the suspence that the children feel about the garage and it leaves me wanting to know what is in there!