Sunday, April 29, 2007

Deliver us from Evie

Deliver us from Evie is a good book. I like the fact that kerr write about the two different type of lesbian the manly and the femine ones. it show's how they are treated differently in society. Parr did not mind the way how evie is but his parents did. If you were to have a gay person in your family how would you deal with it? i have a cousin who is gay and his family seem to be okay with it. they just ask him why he perfer guys instead of girls. they are getting use to the idea now. i always wonder why people are so oppose to gay people? I used to oppose to it , but that ws because everyone was opposing it and i didn't really understad it. Now that i have thought more about it, i think as long as you are happy with that person and love each other it does not matter if they are a boy or girl.

2 comments:

Berlinda said...

i forgot to add that this book to me is about being ture to yourself no matter what. It show this in there with Parr not wanting to be a farmer, Evie being gay, and Doug wanting to become a vet. they each did something they wanted to do.

Frenchell1 said...

I just want to say for the record i did not enjoy the book "just doing it" as our reading for this class. I know we had full warning that it would be "different" than what we were going to be reading ....but really. I was very uneasy everytime i had to read that book. I was uneasy that i stopped reading it all together and just pray that i never have to give birth to a son.
Moving on to Deliver us from Evie. It is kinda odd because just reading hte title of the book i though she would be the one doing all the talking and really the whole book is from her brother's perspective on her. I think it's good that the family is all trying to leave and do something better instead of being poor and doing nothing about it. The whole comming out as a lesbian. i don't even know. I have a good friend who is gay and an uncle who is gay and i am by the belief that it's man and woman not man and man or woman and woman. I don't want to say i understand because i don't think i do but i don't have any problems being around gay people, it doesn't really affect me in anyway. I am just like," thisa is your lifestyle , then fine. we both know i don't approve of it. So let's move on and get over it". I imagine that it must be hard for someone who is gay to have to come out. Especially if you know people will not approve, or if you know that people will "make fun". I kinda think the sterotyping of the lesbian was a bit much. not every lesbian is all butch like and manly looking. With woman i really can't tell if they are or not. Part of me doesn't think that her comming out should have been that huge of an issue for her...just because she already dressed the part. People must have assumed...right? I do think this book would be helpful for teens who are having a hard time "comming out". This may give them some kind of beneficial support.