Monday, February 12, 2007

Briar Rose Reading

I am glad to be done with analyizing what Zipes thinks is a good children's book and actually reading a book.
The person who is suppose to be our lead blogger i think dropped the class, so i am going to do it again , but it won't be too long. I have class, but i wanted to get this out so you guys had time to respond.
I really do like the Briar Rose. I love that it's modern and up to date and i love that the characters are relateable. I really have no idea why they call their grandma "Gemma" but that is neither here nor there. I really do enjoy that this a modern day fairy tale sleeping beauty with a girl on this journey to find out the truth about this fairy tale that her grandmother told her all throughout her life. Reading this book reminds me of reading a memoir of some kind of tragic time. More like a memoir of the Halocaust.
I love that Gemma pretty much lets Rebecca know that Briar Rose is her ...in so many ways, by telling her the story will come true. Her sisters pretty much dismiss her grandmother like she is just old and rambling so whatever she says doesn't really hold to anything. I am really enjoying this book and this journey that i am able t go on as Rebecca discovers her past.

2 comments:

Susi said...

I really enjoy this book as well. It reminds me of the times my grandmohter would tell my brohters and i stories about her life. We used to think they were really interesting stories of real famous or important people. Something bad always happened but my "nina" would always have a way to get out of things and make everything end in a good way at the end. This book is a modern book that make sence and i can relate to because i have some of the same expereinces now! But i cant wait to finish this book to see where it is going to end and HOW it will end.

Berlinda said...

i enjoy reading this book also.. you never thought that a fairy tale could actually become true. and yet in this story it was a true story. and also show how the story was contaminated and how American are becoming or is homogenized. It show that where Rebecca's friend came over to sleep over and disagreed how Gemma was telling the story.. it a very good book i couldn't put it down that i finish reading it... great ending ... i love it ..very good book.. just wondering but is this book for children or young adult?